Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Disappointing day.

Will someone please tell me where the tattoo is on my person that is apparently visible to all but me that says "SUCKER!"

In the last year I've been scammed, lied to, cheated and conned by so many - I'm not talking about falling for one of those emails asking for my bank info, or offering me a share of £40,000,000 if only I'll accept a bank transfer and say I'm someone's long lost niece or something. No, these are supposedly reputable businesses and friendly upstanding community members.

The moving company whose local agency told me that no drivers were willing to sign up to take the ferry to come to my completely accessible house to pick up my goods for moving while telling the drivers that their trucks weren't allowed to go on the ferry to my completely accessible house - all so they could charge me >$400 for a pickup in their truck instead of the big company's mandated $50 ferry charge. And to add to it they charged both! And big surprise when I complained that the big company replied that they asked the local company and they said the charge was correct so to bad for me.

The phone company charging me a $18 "data processing fee" on top of $17 "activation fee" for the onerous task of flipping a switch to turn on my phone service and then explaining the "data processing fee" when I asked as "it's for data processing!"

The cable company, giving me much slower internet and dodgy cable reception and charging apparently $5 more per month for the privilege and then keeping me on the phone for half an hour saying how much they appreciate my business and the next available operator will be happy to serve me... after making me jump through 67 hoops saying or punching buttons to get to the right queue (which we all know is the same queue and the steps are just a time waster - I know, I had an agent who must have been on his last day or something actually confirm this once). I hung up eventually without ever speaking with a person.

The former landlord who is claiming now that he had to tear up the carpet (the 40+ year old nasty manky carpet and accusing me of trying to cover up a "horrendous" stench with a plug-in deoderiser I accidentally left there. The irony? I put in the plug-in oil-scent thing to cover the musty mouse and dog smell that bothered me as soon as I moved in. As a favour I even steam-cleaned part of the manky old carpets. I left that place cleaner and in better shape than when I moved in. And my payment for this? Blanket accusations without cause in a churlish email. I'm surprised, though I shouldn't be I guess.

Then some other emails from others that were condescending at best (another hot-button annoyance of mine) and then other emails and calls from people who just disappointed me.

Rough day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. It will be. I'll find a way to make it so.

No comments: